Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Seven Year Itch...




It is a cliché that has been known to occur. Many people experience it in their marriage. Well, unfortunately (or fortunately?), my husband and I experience it in our location. We seem to be on a cycle.

Let’s review:
• Seven years in Orlando
• Seven years in Indiana

And now we are back in Florida. For seven years?? Well, when we relocated this time, we promised that this is it. We are back in Florida. This is where we want to be. No more moving. This is it.

Deep in my heart, I want to say yes. I want us to settle down and create strong friendships and ties to our neighborhood and cute little town. I want my girls’ to actually stay in a school for longer than a year.

But I can’t make any promises. I am fickle in that way. I get bored. I want more. The grass is always greener. The many what-if’s out there…

We have been in the Tampa Bay area for almost 4 years now. On the positive side, I am mostly pleased. I love the beach…I love the water…I love the warmness. I have a cool job where I can wear shorts and flip-flops, and I am surrounded by incredibly creative people. We have Disney annual passes. My husband is able to play music, albeit not quite full-time like he would desire (yet!). And my youngest daughter has been at the same elementary school for 2 years now (my oldest has been in 5 different schools in 5 years…although next year will be a 2nd year at one school).

On the negative side, the housing is incredibly expensive. Our escrow has grown $400 in the 2+ years we have owned our house. My husband had to take a 50% cut in pay for us to live here. Financially, it is really rough. Also, we don’t have the great neighborhood like we had up North with the cul-de-sac and all the kids driving around their Barbie Jeeps. My oldest doesn’t have any friends in our neighborhood because of our wacky school system.

And I always have that “the grass is greener” mentality. I don’t know if it is because I am such a dreamer??

Who knows what the future holds. All I know is there is no way I am giving up my dreamer mindset. That is what keeps me sane and motivated.

Next stop????? Austin, TX???

Faith Hope Love,
LA ☺

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah well if we decide to move again
you are staying behind to pack up all
of our crap we have accumulated over
the last 18+ years. Also I am
nominating you to break it to my
parents.
I still think the next move
will either be to a nicer neighborhood in our same town or
somewhere the housing, insurance and
taxes are cheaper albeit still in this area.

Sure Austin would be very cool
because of the musical aspect and
because of your wacky friends but
I'm still not sold on it....give
me a couple or three years ;)
Of course that is how I feel today
that could all change tomorrow!!

Unknown said...

I say we move to Celebration...you know that I love how cute it is, and you can walk basically everywhere, and there are many kids, EVERY AGE. Not just 8 year olds.
We did find some house for only you know 300. I would love it because I can go to the movies with my friends every weekend, and we can buy fresh herbs at the sunday farmers market.
And I can learn to cook dinner. When we walk home I could like cook something up.
On the downside, we won't have a pool but there are 2 community pools. With community pools we don't have to worry and clean.
And on the brightest side, Disney is right down the road (remember our story? "hey mom me and (insert name here) are going to disney for a couple hours. can you drop us off?").
But for you, on the lowest side, we aren't very close to the ocean.

Just remember, it's what I want, and its probably what you want. I will give you until wednesday to make up your mind, or else i'll start bribing.
Just kidding! But seriously.

-Elaine