Saturday, November 1, 2008

50,000 Words in 30 Days!

I am soooo excited because NaNoWriMo started today. Well, actually I started writing at midnight so it seems like it is the 2nd day. Here is the scoop:

National Novel Writing Month - write a 50,000 word (approx. 175 page) novel in 30 days from November 1-30th. Woohoo!

You may be thinking, ARE YOU CRAZY? While the answer is still negotiable, it can be done...even with a full-time job, a busy family and other responsibilities (like, um, the play I am in that opens in 6 days). But the point of this amazing experience is actually setting a goal and a deadline and completing it. As long as I record 50,000 before midnight on November 305y, I win. A prize? Money? A publishing deal? Nope, none of those. But the satisfaction of knowing that I did it. Knowing that if I set my mind to it, I can accomplish it. Even with all of the other crazy and stressful things in my life.

So, my goal for the next 30 days (well...29 now) is Quantity not Quality (editing starts in December). I came up with an idea and started with that. We will just have to see where it goes. It was kind of funny, because I wasn't quite sure which direction I should go in...should I stick with my chick lit genre that I have been writing in? Or do something totally different? Well, I decided to go with the latter. Let's see what happens!

I need to write 1,667 words a day to complete the goal. So far for day one I have 3,116. I realize I better stockpile as many words as I can on the weekends. :)

Oh, Jess and Laine are also writing this month in the Young Writers division. Jess is doing 4,000 words (134 words a gay goal) and Laine is doing 15,000 words (500 words a day).

I am very, very, very excited at this point and cannot wait to see what the result is at the end of the month. This might finally be what makes me finish something. Woohoo!

Off to bed.

Faith Hope Love-
LA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, that sounds like a great idea, i'd wish you good luck with this task, but I'm pretty sure you are already done with it by now!

how'd it come out!?

<3 Paul